Kidney Beans and Ham Casserole
2 (15-ounce) cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cups diced cooked ham
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup homemade or canned chicken broth
1 cup dry red wine (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper
4 strips bacon (optional)
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine and cook the onion until soft. Do not brown. Stir in the ham, blending with the onion. Sprinkle in the flour, blending. Add the chicken broth and wine, stirring well. Add the salt and cayenne. Stir. Cook 10 minutes.
Add the Kidney Beans blending well. Place bean mixture in a casserole, top with the bacon strips, and cook in a preheated 350°F oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until completely heated and bacon is crisp.
Servings per recipe: 2 to 4
- #Senate Navy #Bean #Soup was a Michigan initiative, a Michigan #recipe and uses Michigan Navy Beans. t.co/VESDt9IjpO Time ago 3 Days via Twitter
- @WSGW #Farm Show in a few minutes. You never know what Terry is going to ask. Time ago 3 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- #skinny t.co/8NzZj6C98d @GoyaFoods @cookbooktree @DiabetesHealth Time ago 4 Days via Twitter
Follow @MichBeans on twitter.
In reality, getting Senate Navy Bean Soup included on the menu in the Senate Dining Room was a MICHIGAN initiative, a MICHIGAN recipe and used MICHIGAN navy beans. It is still being served in the Dining Room today!
Well, it seems we are in step with dried beans and peas. Last column we talked about Great Northern beans, and a reader wrote to comment about beans.
by Gale Compton This yummy soup is packed with flavor and the rich taste of the Southwest. [amd-zlrecipe-recipe:440]
Keep it vegan by omitting the yogurt, or make it heartier for meat-lovers by adding some sauteed chorizo sausage to the mix.
- Click to download or view the latest Variety Tr...
- Click here to download or view the latest repor...
- Click to view or download the latest informatio...
- Click here to view the latest report in regards...
- Click to view or download the article Share it ...
View Calendar Add Add