Kidney Beans and Ham Casserole
2 (15-ounce) cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cups diced cooked ham
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup homemade or canned chicken broth
1 cup dry red wine (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper
4 strips bacon (optional)
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine and cook the onion until soft. Do not brown. Stir in the ham, blending with the onion. Sprinkle in the flour, blending. Add the chicken broth and wine, stirring well. Add the salt and cayenne. Stir. Cook 10 minutes.
Add the Kidney Beans blending well. Place bean mixture in a casserole, top with the bacon strips, and cook in a preheated 350°F oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until completely heated and bacon is crisp.
Servings per recipe: 2 to 4
- 2016 County Plot Tours and Locations-1...
- Dry Bean Prospective Plantings USDA Report of 0...
- 2015 Dry Bean Canning Evaluation & Color Re...
- USDA Crop Summary – January 2016...
- 2015 MBC Production Research Advisory Board Var...